Friday, September 26, 2008

Birds and the Bees of Economics

Today, my son asked me why my folks are watching my sister's dog this weekend. "They are on a trip," I said. He let out a big sigh. "Geez, they sure get to go on a lot of trips. Why can't we go on trips?"

He might as well have asked me how babies are made.

"Uhhh," I poignantly replied. No point in lying. "Well, they have a little more money than we do. It's just a fact of life."

Now, I have to mind my words here, because my sister is a loyal follower of my blog and I wouldn't want her to think I had a bone to pick. Quite the contrary. I have no hard feelings towards her over this topic. Hey, if you have it, enjoy it!! I'm glad their family is getting these opportunities to travel and see the world - near and far. And even if we had the resources at hand, traveling would still be a challenge with our son's health. I just wasn't yet prepared for the pandora's box of "Why's?" from my son.

"Why do they have more money?"
"Why don't we have enough money to do those things?"
"Why can't we afford for me to go to Eric's school?"
"Why is their house bigger?"

I tried to explain to him that not everyone has the same things - not the same clothes, cars, houses, toys, trips, etc. That everyone's job pays different amounts and that people have different expenses and that it means everyone lives a little differently.

"Is our family in a financial crisis?" he asked. "We should ask for bail."

Good gravy. This is a first grader!! I've GOT to remember to shut the tv off!

"Not really. We just have to work a little harder at paying our bills, which means there isn't as much left to do things like go on trips. Someday hopefully we will." Then I reminded him that his aunt is 7 years older than me and his uncle is 10 years older than her - which means they've had more years of practice paying bills.

Quiet, he finally stopped asking questions and said, "OK, I think I'll go to bed now."

Crisis diverted for now. It just goes to show you that even kids are affected by money matters - so mind your words, and keep your checkbook stresses under the cuff - you might have a little economist on your hands!!

UPDATE - Saturday morning. Contrary to what others might think, I wrote this entry BEFORE reading my sister's newest blog entry. But given the circumstances, I think I'll leave this one to her to explain to my son!

No comments: