Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Lack of Ethel

One of my favorite TV shows to watch is "I Love Lucy." I even ti-vo episodes to watch when nothing else is on (and I find myself with nothing to do, HA!). One of the things that I love about the show is the relationship between Lucy and Ethel. They were always with each other, talked about everything, spent time together, shopped, ate, and got into trouble. They laughed and they cried. In spite of their husbands, babies, in-laws, crises and crazy antics, they remained the best of friends.

Today I needed someone without gooey hands and a runny nose to give me their opinion on which shirt I should wear tonight for family pictures. I picked up the phone...and had no one to call to come over and watch my fashion show.

I lacked an Ethel.

I cried.

Everything that Lucy shared with Ethel, I pretty much share with my husband. But somehow it's not the same. He listens, he laughs, he jokes and hugs - he truly is my best friend - but he's not my Ethel. He lacks estrogen.

My wish list is long these days, but I added one more thing to it today.

1 comment:

doughmommy said...

If I lived in Salina I would have come over to be your Ethel. Love, Johni