Monday, September 8, 2008

My Birthday Girl



Dear Daughter,

You are three years old today. As I tucked you into bed last night, I marveled at your beauty and reveled in the ways my life has been enhanced by your presence in it. You weren't a planned part of this family - your surprise presence caught us all a bit off guard. But we quickly embraced your impending arrival and planned for our lives to change forever.

I remember the moment you arrived. I felt every inch of that cut in my belly, and knew the second you were out. You screamed at the top of your little, amazingly healthy lungs and looked right into my eyes. When your daddy came back to the room after bathing you, he whispered into my ear, "She has red hair." And in my pain, I remember smiling. For days we sat next to you in NICU and fed you, waiting for the orange in your skin to diasppear. The nurses couldn't pass by your bed without reaching in and stroking you. Your brother drew you pictures and sent you presents because he missed you. At your baptism, you SCREAMED, and our pastor said that the Spirit would be strong in you...he was right.

The last three years have been filled with laughter, mostly because of your hilarious antics, your adorable expressions and your quick wit. You talk like no other three year old I've ever met - in complete narrative mode - every sentence, every story has a beginning, middle and end. Your clothes and shoes are hardly ever worn because you grow so quickly, often even surpassing your brother (which he hates by the way). Your gorgeous red hair stops complete strangers and makes them say, "what a beautiful little girl you have there." We, of course, already know.

Today, you are smart, sassy and strong. You know your mind and refuse to let others change it. You capture the heart of all those who meet you. You have made such a joyous difference in the lives of your family and friends. We cannot imagine life without you. And though we often grit our teeth, pull out our hairs and pray for strength to guide you through your "interesting" phases, you are a gift no one can have enough gratitude for!

Happy Birthday, beautiful.

Love, Mommy

No comments: