Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Clang! Crack! Slam!

It seems that in my old age, I have developed a fear of noises. Especially at night. Now when I was a child, I had night terrors. These were no ordinary nightmares. I remember each and every one. I was so terrified that my dad would have to hold my arms in against him so tightly that I couldn't move, otherwise in my sleep I would hurt myself and others (namely my sister, whose room I always retreated to).

But I quickly outgrew that stage (quickly to me, my parents might disagree). For two decades, I have rarely a bad dream.

But lately, I wake up at every little sound. The dog moving under the bed. A child stirring in their beds. The refrigerator turning on. The A/C or heater switching on. I'm terrified every night that one of my children is going to get sick. I anticipate the alarm clock of my husband's going off at 4 am. Every time my husband turns over, I wake up.

And then throw in the fact that a neighbor near to us was arrested last week for breaking and entering, theft, robbery, and possession of weapons without a permit - and I'm an insomniac mess. Add on top of THAT the fact that my children have taken up sleepwalking - never on the same night - and I'm even more skittish.

If I watch ANYTHING remotely scary, disturbing, or even with any deepness to the subject matter before bed, the little time I do spend sleeping, I'm anxious about that.

Pretty soon, we'll all turn into zombies. Being the comic-book maniac my husband is, he'll think it's cool. Me? I just want a good night's sleep. Or even a nap would do.

No comments: