Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Coming Home Blues

I can remember a time with each of my children separately that I dreaded coming home from work for the evening. Their "colorful" personalities were more than I could stomach - especially the years when my husband worked second shift and I was a single mom more or less - and I spent all evening crying until bedtime finally arrived. This occurred around age 4 with Cale and about age 3 with Elena.

But it's back. Now at age (almost) 8 and 4, the two of them TOGETHER make going home a little like having a knee scoped (I'd say having a root canal, but I've never had one).

Every day this week, and most of last week, when I arrive home or at a grandparents' house to greet my children, one or both is crying, arguing, upset, in trouble or just totally apathetic towards me. I tell them it's time to go and they go start a TV show or a game, or disappear altogether. Once in the car, they fight and cry. At home, they get mad because they don't like what I'm making for supper, don't want to do their homework, "never get to do anything fun," and pretty much make it perfectly clear they don't like me all too much.

Our son, especially - the one who thanks his nurses when they poke him over and pver to get IVs started because he appreciates the medicine - has started having quite a little mouth on him. He's abrupt, quick to anger and obstinate - things we are not used to in the smooth-talking, sweetheart of a guy. Our daughter cries at every single thing - even if you use a sweet voice and aren't scolding her for something, she falls into a fit of tears and runs away to her room.

WHAT IN THE WORLD?

Maybe it's spring fever. Maybe my own stress is wearing off onto them. Who knows. I just know that this too, shall pass - I just have to be patient and seek help from above on how to maintain my sanity. I wonder if Joseph and Mary had to deal with such issues with their little guy. (Add that to the list of questions to take to heaven.)

No comments: