Have you heard of this new disease - WMOADD? I have it. It's Wife/Mother Onset Attention Deficit Disorder. It's my MO: "Multitasking Overload."
Lately, it's getting worse. Even my husband has called me out on it. The fit hit the shan last week when our morning routine got shot to the dirt and I couldn't get ANYTHING accomplished, and when I ended up late to work, which NEVER happens, I lost it. My husband said, "If you could just stay focused on ONE THING at a time, you'd get more done."
Easy for you to say. You're a man.
So here's what I'm up against. It hit me again upside the head last night. I was in the middle of making lasagna for dinner (homemade - after work, and after working out). I put it in the oven, then went to take the trash dumpster to the curb. I noticed how long the grass was, and decided to mow it. SQUIRREL! So I told our son to set his stopwatch for the same time as the oven timer, and I started mowing. When the timer went off, I went in to uncover the lasagna, only to realize that there was an unfolded load of laundry on the table. SQUIRREL! So I started to fold it and looked outside to remember I still had to finish mowing. So I went back outside, set Cale's stopwatch again and finished mowing. As I was headed up the driveway with the mower towards the garage, I noticed how many weeds were in the garden. SQUIRREL! So I started weeding and Cale said "TIME'S UP!" I ran in to take the lasagna out and start the veggies and left both the mower and dumpster in the driveway. After starting the veggies, I finished the laundry, then went back out, put everything away and welcomed home my husband.
When it was all said and done, it really was all said and done. I got it all done. But ran myself ragged in the process. I do the same stinkin' thing in the mornings. I start getting the kids ready, then start emptying the dishwasher, SQUIRREL, then put on laundry to find they haven't eaten breakfast, so then we're running late and I'm stressed. Again, it all gets done, but how efficiently?
This isn't a case of me needing medicine or therapy. I think it's a case of me needing...a nap. Or a maid. Or a cook. Or a yard boy. Or a nap. Speaking of naps, I don't think I made the bed this morning.
SQUIRREL!
(For those wondering if I also have some kind of twitch with the SQUIRREL thing, it's a reference to the movie UP! and the dog, Doug - watch it, you'll cry from laughing so hard)
No comments:
Post a Comment