Can seldom see through his bars of rage
His wings are clipped and his feet are tied
So he opens his throat to sing.
The above is a stanza from Maya Angelou’s famous poem, “The Caged Bird Sings.” This poem came to mind Saturday when we went on a family trip to the zoo and happened upon a magnificent bald Eagle in this state of being:
The above is a stanza from Maya Angelou’s famous poem, “The Caged Bird Sings.” This poem came to mind Saturday when we went on a family trip to the zoo and happened upon a magnificent bald Eagle in this state of being:
This poor bird was lying under a branch in a bed of leaves, crying. It opened it’s beak and let out a sad, piercing wail every few minutes and just stared at people with glazed over eyes. My son asked why she wasn’t sitting on a tree branch or flying. I didn’t have answers for him.
I could hardly take my eyes off of this beautiful bird. I felt like she was begging me to release her. Tears welled up in me as we walked away. My husband and I decided then and there that we would not be visiting any more zoos in the future, only wildlife refuges.
I’m not a card carrying PETA member or anything, but last time I checked, this is what an eagle looked like:

No comments:
Post a Comment