Tuesday, October 9, 2007

MAADD

The title of my blog would suggest that I’m trying to say “mad” with emphasis. Rather, this is an acronym for a new disease I’ve diagnosed: Motherhood Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.

Last night, I came in from work and started making supper. While I was watching the bread in the toaster oven toast for the French dip meat I’d slow cooked all day, I noticed a paper my son had brought home from school. I started reading it, and then decided it was a good time to go through his backpack. I found it, started to sift through it and smelled the bread burning. So I put down the backpack, headed back to the kitchen and rescued the overly toasted bread.

I started assembling the sandwiches and realized I hadn’t yet made the corn. So I left the sandwiches half-assembled and got the corn from the freezer where I noticed tater tots and got them both out to cook. The tater tots made me reminisce about my childhood and this made me remember I hadn’t yet cleaned out my son’s sack lunch pack. So I started to do that, and then heard a fork drop to the floor. I hadn’t moved back the sandwiches and my dog had gotten ahold of one. So I dragged her to the door to escort her outside and noticed that my husband had mowed the lawn! So I ran to thank him for doing that - he was downstairs entertaining the children (so I could focus on dinner) - and while I was down there, I decided to fold the load of laundry in the dryer. After pulling a yellow shirt from the basket, I remembered I had corn cooking, so I marched back upstairs, straightening pictures along the way.

I finished getting supper ready and we sat down to eat. My kids said “is this all?” I did a quick inventory of the table – sandwiches, check; corn, check. Ah! The tater tots. So I got them out of the oven and we were set. Except there were only 3 sandwiches. Oh yeah, the dog ate one. So I got up and assembled another sandwich. While I was up, my son asked me for ketchup, which we were out of. So I grabbed a pen and started making a grocery list. But we did finally get to eat – with bbq sauce subbing for ketchup.

After dinner, my husband and kids headed out to play football as I cleaned the kitchen (why does he get the fun stuff?). As I watched them through the window as I loaded the dishwasher, I noticed the flowers were totally overgrown in my planter on the porch. So I headed out, just for a few minutes, to trim back the flowers. After doing that and watching the football game, we headed in to start getting the kids ready for bed. I as got out cups for water, I realized I hadn’t finished cleaning the kitchen. So my daughter and I did this while my husband got my son ready for bed. After the kitchen was done, I read my son a book, only to remember I hadn’t finished looking through his backpack. So then I did that and finally sat down to rock my daughter to sleep.

She drifted off and I placed her in bed. I headed downstairs to check my email and remembered I hadn’t finished folding the laundry. So I did that, and then went back up to get ready for bed. My husband was snoozing on the couch so I pulled his cap off his head so he’d be more comfy. I looked at the cap, which was a Dallas Cowboys cap, and realized the Cowboys game was on so I sat down to watch it. A cell phone commercial reminded me I need to charge my phone and I headed into the kitchen to do that and decided to have a popcicle. We were out, so I decided to make a grocery list…oh yeah, I started that earlier. Where did I put it? I finally found it in my son’s homework folder.

I finally laid my head down to rest and remembered that the dog was still outside. So I woke up my husband to go get her and drifted off to sleep before he came back to bed.

I’m a highly organized person and do everything to perfection – but my brain just goes super-sonic and it takes me a while to catch up…ketchup…that reminds me, I need to go to the store.

No comments: