My son has a new favorite game - turning me into an inside-out raving psycho mother. He's a master button pusher, is responsible for the thousands of hairs in the sink that I've pulled out, the bumps on my head from me beating it against a wall, and my recent weight loss from my stomach being too knotted to eat.
My son is 5.
He's also a perfect blend of his father and me. Like his father, he's silly, aggravating, procrastinant, defensive and has a tendency to yell. Like me, he's obsessive-compulsive, anal-retentive, stressed out, detail oriented and easy to cry. Put all of that together and he's an absolute wreck. He's finding himself these days - finding what his limits are and how to stretch them. And he's not getting far. My husband and I are buckling down and taking back the role of being HIS boss, not the other way around. Since his birth, he's had health issues and we've always blamed his mood on him not feeling well. But despite that, he has to realize that he is responsible for his actions and choices - and the consequences that come with them.
This morning after a huge bed-time fight, he woke up and said "Mommy, why do you and daddy still do nice things for me and buy me things even though I'm bad all the time?" I said, "Because we love you." He thought for a minute and said "Wow, you must love me a lot."
Maybe it's finally starting to get through that thick skull of his. After he gave me about the biggest hug possible, we had a great morning. Maybe it was his defining moment. Here's hoping.
1 comment:
Wow, what I week. Pat yourself on the back, you've managed to discover some great moments in the midst of chaos!
Post a Comment