I'm a grinch today. Something is bothering me. I went to lunch yesterday at our local deli and inside was a mecca of Christmas - centerpieces, garland, trees, Christmas music - it made me enraged. I'm a Christmas person to the core - I love everything about it. But I also think that the holiday preceding it deserves some attention.
It's not even Halloween, and yet Christmas is everywhere. No one remembers Thanksgiving anymore. It is the purest holiday on our calendar. No gifts are necessary, no cards, no chocolates or flowers. It is a holiday set aside to thank the Lord for our many gifts and just be together as a family. But because there's nothing fancy or frilly about it, it gets left in the dust and Christmas stomps all over it.
We will not be putting up our tree, wrapping gifts or digging out the Christmas music until Thanksgiving has been rightfully observed. Bring on the turkey!!
No comments:
Post a Comment