Monday, June 16, 2008

NOT Any Man

There's that saying "Any man can be a father, but it takes a special man to be a daddy." I agree with Barack Obama on this issue - that NOT any man can be a father. Only a REAL man can. In every sense of the word. It is a lifetime committment. I never realized the scope of what a committment it was until I was myself a parent. I now marvel at my parents and wonder how in the world they survived this long! I've always thought there should be parent vows just the same as wedding vows, because there is a good amount of "in sickness and in health," "for richer or for poorer," and "till death do us part" involved in the parent-child relationship as much as the husband-wife relationship.

My dad has been through a lot with us girls. And I think he would agree with me that he is a better man for it. My husband gave me roses and a card for Father's Day that said "thank you for making me a father." So for Father's Day - to my mother - thank you for making this man my daddy. And to my daddy - thank you for being the Real thing.