Sunday, June 8, 2008

Reflecting on the Weekend

On Friday, my mother had a left hip replacement. This woman never ceases to amaze me. She is not considered a candidate for major surgery. She has a host of medical maladies that make her just about the highest-risk patient you could possibly imagine. Every medical intervention is a risk to her life. But she was tired of living in pain and with a walker at the age of 57. So she consented - knowing full well the risks. And she made it. The last two days, I have sat with her in her hospital room and watched her (begrudgingly, but still) doing physical therapy and getting up on the edge of the bed. The pain is indescribable, but she's handling it better than I thought she would. Someone upstairs was truly watching over her. The next few days continue to be "critical" in her recovery - clots, infection, pneumonia, and blood loss are all things that we are watching for. But the first hurdle is over.

Today we are celebrating the 30th anniversary of my husband's parents. It's hard to believe that I have been part of their family for 11 years. And we are closer to them now than ever. I mean literally....4 houses away. And we're loving it. They are a great example of what a marriage should be for their children and grandchildren and I'm blessed to be part of it.

On other notes, my fish ponds are now running and we've located the fish food so they won't croak on us now. My yard is mowed, my house is clean and my family well rested. But my son has a new sinus infection...he made it three weeks without intervention. We'll visit our doctor tomorrow.

Whew, is it Monday yet?!