Thursday, June 26, 2008

Domesticated Bliss

A feeling has come over me that I could never have anticipated. Even now I can hardly believe it. I hope it is a temporary feeling, because I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it. It's a feeling of domestication.

For about a month now, I've been a "stay-at-home mom/wife." There isn't much "staying home" involved. Yet, when I am home, I find myself doing all of the domesticated "duties" involved with this job...and not even asking my hard-working husband to lift a finger with the day-to-day responsibilities (things like demolishing the backyard are on his list). When I was a full-time work-outside-the-home wife and mother, I left lists for him. Laundry, cleaning, shopping. The lists have disappeared. He has not cooked a single meal since we moved.

He, needless to say, loves this new arrangement. But soon, school will start, I will be teaching (hopefully several days a week so we can pay our bills!), and his lists will reappear. But for the summer, I feel it is my calling to take care of everything. It has strangely helped our marriage as well - another benefit I could not have anticipated. There is more enjoying each other and less fretting about what got done and what didn't.

It's amazing what you find out when you take time to smell the roses (literally, I have roses. And I don't ask him to water them).

No comments: