Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Girl Talk

Last night I took my son on a "date" to see Kung-Fu Panda. I LOVE taking my son to the movies, but it is a rare occasion because he is restricted from seeing movies when lots of other people are there because of potential of germ-catching. With no immune system, it's kind of risky to sit in a packed theatre! But 8 other people joined us in the theatre, which was just fine.

Anyway, so I had to use the restroom - which begins another conversation (what to do with your son who is too old to go to the bathroom with you and too young to sit alone). While I was in there, I heard a couple of young girls asking another lady about having periods. Apparently this young girl was there for a movie and had started her period and had no idea what to do. She was there with a friend, who was obviously also clueless. The lady in the stall next to me handed her a you-know-what and told her not to panic, that she would get used to it. "You mean, it's not just a one time thing?" the girl said totally freaking out. "No, it happens 5-7 days every month" the lady said. The young girl fixed herself up and left the restroom with her friend.

I asked the lady at the sink how that conversation began. She said, "I guess she had no idea what a period was." I replied, "Isn't that something her mom should have talked to her about already?"

Before she could respond, another younger girl came out of a stall - I will guess about 16 years old. She said, "Not everyone has a mom to talk to. No one has ever talked to me about s.e.x yet. It's a good thing I don't already have a baby. Ya gotta help a sister out."

She walked out. The lady and I just looked at each other totally baffled at what all had just happened. When I walked back out, my son said, "So, what did you do in the bathroom mommy?"

Wasn't THAT a loaded question.

So ladies, take time to talk to your daughters. They grow up too fast. They need you - your wisdom, your support, your love. Step up! Don't miss a chance to help a sister out.