Monday, December 8, 2008

Back in the Saddle

Today was the first day of my new job as the Public Relations Director at our public library. It is a position I was offered 3 years ago and declined. This time, I said yes. And I will admit I was apprehensive about getting back into the "8-5, M-F" grind (in all actuality, it's 8-4, M-Th). I was concerned about how I'd fit in, if I'd like my office mates, if I'd feel welcomed. I was worried I'd fall apart not being able to pick up my son from school.

I woke up at 5:30, suited up and took my kids down the street to their grandparents at 7:45. Papa Bob packed them up in the truck, took my son to school and was keeping my daughter all day. I came back home and headed for work. When I arrived, a 4 foot banner was on my office window that welcomed me. My darling husband sent me a beautiful bouquet of flowers. Everyone was excited to meet me. My office mates are a hilarious group of 3 wonderful women with whom we discovered we all share mutual interests in travel, food, religion, family and politics. As it is the Christmas season, I was thrown right into "Can you bring treats for the open house Wednesday?" and "We hope you are coming to the Christmas party Friday night!" and "Let's go out to lunch as an office next week."

It felt good. I created a newsletter already and got acclimated on the different departments. When the day was over (surprisingly fast), I picked up my kids. My daughter had a great day baking cookies, going to the car wash, eating lunch with her brother at school and going to KMart. My son fell back into the "Homework, dinner, bedtime" routine pretty easily.

I'm still subbing on Fridays, and that will good. I'm already booked for several Fridays the next two months. But against all of my apprehension, I must admit that being back in the professional saddle wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. It felt natural. And then I came home to my happy kids (goodbye daycare), a home I love (despite its flaws), a husband who adores me (its mutual) and dinner that we nuked in the microwave.

What could be better?

No comments: