USA Today released a study yesterday on industrial areas and the smokestack effect on schools in those neighborhoods. It showed dangerous levels of cancer-causing toxicity and other harmful substances that our children are being exposed to.And when I say "our children," I really mean it. At the very top of that list is my son's former school. It ranks in the 1st percentile of the nation's MOST HARMFUL schools.
Last year, our son missed over 40 days of school due to illness.
For the few of you who follow my blog (or at least check in now and again), you know that our son is sick A LOT. His immune system doesn't function properly, thus making him defenseless against germs and illness. This was a condition he was born with. So no, the school didn't make him sick.
HOWEVER, on this date last year, our son had missed 16 days of school. This year, including today, he has missed 5. Hmmmm....
It pains me to think that his school - this safe haven of learning - might have been making him even sicker...even more defenseless against his already painful and draining health condition. IT pains me that the nice young family who bought our house there are now sending their children to that school. And I'm sad that this wonderful academically sound school with amazing teachers will now have a bad rap, one that might affect the town as a whole.
If you want to check out the study, go to http://content.usatoday.com/news/nation/environment/smokestack/index
Brace yourself.
1 comment:
How scary! Who knew I'd have to move to California to find cleaner air? I was happy to see our schools here in the 97th-98th percentile!
Post a Comment