- Health issues matter. Before, I kind of coasted by, went on crash diets, baked in the sun and slept when I got around to it. Now, for myself and my family, I pay attention to nutrition labels, take care of my body, exercise, apply sunblock and have regular physicals. Sticking around a while is pretty important now.
- I'm more creative. Creative with food, clothes, furniture arranging, shopping, suitcase packing, toy playing, picture hanging, photo organizing - motherhood has allowed me to seek my inner...something.
- Food tastes better. I've discovered ingredients, recipes and places to eat out that I never would have tried before in an effort to make my kids eat! I never knew I liked chinese food, pineapple on pizza, guacamole or margaritas (that ones for me only, not the kids).
- I have more energy. When I was childless, I'd stay up late or get up early. But there's a new found energy that creeps into your system as a parent. It's hard to explain.
- I'm more tired. Weird considering #4. But when the energy level goes down, I can crash harder than anyone I know.
- Relying on others is ok. I used to be incredibly self sufficient. I still am, but I've realized that it's ok once in a while to let others cook you a meal, do your ironing, clean your house and color your hair. It doesn't make you any less of a person.
- I'm harder on myself - but in a good way. I'm more accountable for my decisions. I spend more money, but on better purchases. I spend lots of time making a decision, but it involves more people than just me. Motherhood has literally just made me stop and THINK.
- I love my parents, inlaws, grandparents and siblings more. Knowing what they went through to raise my husband and me, the sacrifices, sleepless nights, stress, emotion - I probably took that for granted. Now I'm in their debt.
- I'm more organized. Many could argue this, especially if they knew how anal-retentive I was prior to parenthood. But it's a different kind of organization - it's keeping LIFE in order, not THINGS. Multi-tasking has a whole new meaning once you have babies crawling around.
- I love my husband more than I ever thought possible. Not only is this man the one I want to spend forever with, but he is the other half of my beautiful children. Our love has grown and changed and matured in so many ways since becoming parents. And it's a beautiful thing.
Hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts. Romans 5:4
Friday, August 3, 2007
10 things about motherhood
I've spent a lot of time this week thinking about how different I am than I used to be. My husband and I are coming up on 10 years as a couple next week, and the person I am today is so vastly different than who I was then - but in mostly good ways. Motherhood changed me. Here are 10 ways it has:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment