Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Phantom

I sincerely believe that all mothers have had an encounter with a spirit/ghost/phantom at some point in their lives. I believe this because mothers have the innate abilty to sense the presence of others.

Last night, as has happened on countless occasions in his life, my son quietly entered our room at 1:30am. He didn't say anything or make any noise, but immediately I was awake and said "Are you ok kiddo?" About an hour later, the same thing happened with my daughter. The children could be shouting into a megaphone two inches from my husband's head and he wouldn't hear them. They barely enter a room and I feel their presence.

My husband is very intrigued by this. He's never understood how I have this abilty. He claims it's a mothers sixth sense - that we are somehow cosmically connected to our children and feel their presence, their pain, their joy. My son is also curious about it - from another room I can tell him to stop what he's doing. "But how did you know what I was doing?" is his response.

Is it mother's intuition? Or just another we can can annoy men? Either way, I'm glad I have it!

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

It's not a woman-only thing - my husband has it too, but he defines it as a curse. He feels he loses way too much sleep over this constant waking up at night. However, he was okay with having this years ago when his sister would try to sneak into his room and steal things. Go figure.