Friday, August 31, 2007

10 things I’ve learned about getting fit

Since January, I’ve been on Weight Watchers and trying to get myself back in shape after lugging around WAY too much “baby weight.” Babies don’t weigh 70 pounds when they’re born, but for some reason, that’s about how much I put on each time! I’m back to college weight and LOVING it. But it hasn’t been an easy road. Here are some things I’ve learned:

  • You can’t just substitute low fat versions of ingredients into your favorite recipes. Low fat cheese, cream cheese, jello and butter are the main examples of how doing this seriously affects the consistency and taste of the food (not to mention the presentation)!
  • Your scale at home and the one at the doctor aren’t the same – sadly, you weigh more at the doctor. So I’ve recalibrated my scale to that one and I’ve fallen back two weeks in progress.
  • It isn’t easy. There are days you feel like you’re starving (you aren’t) and days you want cheesecake so bad you could cry. But that’s just mind over matter. You don’t NEED the cheesecake and you’re not withering away.
  • Losing weight also means losing hair. Your body freaks out and does a weird thing like leave 200 hairs in the shower after you wash it. Not cool when you’re also trying to grow your hair out!
  • The one place you don’t want to lose weight is where it comes off first – for me, that was my chest. I went from a 40D to a 36C. That was NOT part of the plan. The days of full, supple and curvy are out the window in this department.
  • Healthy recipes, when made correctly, actually are as tasty as fully loaded ones. We have a whole new cookbook of favorite meals that my whole family enjoys, even if it is “diet food.”
  • You really don’t need to eat as much as you thought you did. When I go out now, I immediately put half in a to go box when it’s served. That leaves half of the meal, and it always fills me up. So I get two meals for one, get to enjoy not being stuffed and feel better about myself.
  • Water sucks. I hate drinking water. But it really does make a difference in how you feel and losing weight. The key for me is crystal light mix-ins to flavor the water. Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.
  • There is no food that tastes as good as fit feels. It’s one of the best feelings in the world to try on clothes you wore just months ago and they’re huge. Looking in the mirror is a little easier and the energy is also a huge payoff.
  • What a great reason to shop for new clothes! I got an entire new summer wardrobe and now it’s time to shop for fall and winter!! YAY! And my husband enjoys the fashion shows…

No comments: