The very grown up conversations I'm having with my son these days are making me a little queasy. In a matter of weeks, he's transformed into a very analytical thinker. We've discussed death, adoption, illness, anger, floods and war just to name a few. There are fewer conversations about Clifford, Curious George or Tranformers.Yesterday when I picked him up from school, he told me he had a "subatoo" (substitute) teacher. I asked how he liked her. This is what ensued:
Him: "She is going to have a baby."
Me: "Well, that's very exciting. Does she know if it's a boy a girl?"
Him: "She didn't tell me. But she said she can't sleep. How did you sleep when we were in your tummy?"
Me: "Not very well. You were both very big and kicked me."
Him: "Could you jump? She said she can't jump. Or bend down and tie her shoes. That's kinda weird."
Me: "Everything is harder when you have a baby in you. But it's worth it."
Long silence.
Him: "Do you think we could have another baby someday?"
Me: "Well, I hadn't really thought about it. That's a very big decision. Daddy and I will have to discuss that."
Him: "I think we should. And if it was a brother, we could name him Jack."
Me: "Why Jack?"
Him: "I just think it's a nice name. And if it's a girl, we could name her Rebekah."
Me: "Like the girl you sit next to at school?"
Him: "How did you know that?!"
Then the conversation turned into how I know things he doesn't know and the whole phantom thing, which he is growing increasingly irritated over.
This is not a conversation you plan for. At age 5, he is more than I ever thought possible. He's no longer a baby, he's my friend. I think I'm loving it.
1 comment:
It's a little scary how fast they grow up on us!
Post a Comment