Friday, December 7, 2007

10 Christmas Memories

I’m having a tough time getting into the Christmas spirit. I read a friend’s blog today that outlined some of her favorite Christmas memories, and decided putting mine to paper might help boost my merriment. I hope she won't mind me copying her idea!

So, for my second 10 things today, here are 10 special memories:

  • Going out to look at Christmas lights. We took our dog and cat, thermoses of hot cocoa, didn’t buckle our seatbelts and wore our jammies – we drove around for hours!
  • When my niece was not quite 2, all of us cousins went out together to look at lights in my sister’s minivan. My niece sang “Old McDonald had a Barn” the whole way and then realized she was singing about McDonald’s and we had to stop and get her McNuggets.
  • The 12 days of Christmas – my folks used to put 1 thing in our stockings each day the 12 days leading up to Christmas. The suspense nearly killed us!
  • In 1999, I got married one week before Christmas. I spent the whole week baking Christmas goodies for everyone’s gifts since we were dirt poor! We saved all of the wedding gifts and opened them Christmas morning under our brand new tree (decorated with wedding decorations!).
  • When I was 5, I was really sick at Christmas and my mom worked at the mall. On Christmas eve, she came home from work with SANTA!! I of course thought it was the REAL Santa – he spent a whole hour with me, holding me on the couch and showering me with gifts.
  • Two years ago, my mom was really sick and in the hospital on Christmas. We delayed it a week, but she was still in, so we had Christmas without she and my dad. Normally, that wouldn’t be a “happy” memory, but my sister put together the most amazingly fun day for everyone – from food to wine to games – she was the perfect hostess and I remember actually enjoying spending that day with her.
  • When my mom’s dad was alive, we used to drive to Leavenworth, KS every year for a couple of days for Christmas with that family. I remember it snowed every year we went while we were there and all of my cousins got to sled. Every year. How did that happen?
  • Snow angels with my kids – my kids LOVE the snow. But I remember my son’s first snow – the first thing he did was plop down and make a snow angel – like it was bred into him.
  • For 10 years, I have been shopping with my sister in law and mother in law. This was the first year I missed it – but it’s been a joy every year. There’s always a “Story” to remember at the expense of someone. It’s a marathon!
  • Three years ago I hosted Christmas at my house. I made a beautiful dinner and everyone seemed to have a great time. I also happened to conceive my daughter that night!

No comments: