- Sugar Cookies. I can't bake soft ones - mine all turn out crunchy. But it's one of my favorite pasttimes - rolling out cookie dough and cutting shapes.
- My Nativity scene. My grandfather handcrafted it for me when I was about 10. I've always cherished it. Now that he is gone, it is even more precious. I also love explaining each character in the scene to my kids.
- Christmas movies - there's one on every day. I watch as many as I can. My kids even love them - especially the old timey ones like Rudolph and Frosty.
- Down blankets. I only drag them out of hiding during the coldest of winter. But we drug them out early and they are all over the house. They make great tents, sleeping bags and especially warmth (when the power is out!).
- Candles - I LOVE candles. I'd have hundeds in my house if I didn't fear fire! The candlelight Christmas eve service is my favorite
- Christmas songs. I always loved hearing them. Now I love hearing my children's versions of them.
- Payday. After two weeks of "I forgot to get her a present. I need to get him something" payday is sweet and lovely.
- My anniversary. We don't do much to "celebrate" it anymore since it's a week before Christmas and all of our money goes to presents for the kids and others. But just reminiscing about our gorgeous wedding sends shivers down my spine.
- Wine. I'm not much of a drinker, but I treat myself to wine a few times during the holidays gatherings. It makes me feel grown up and special.
- Seeing my kids' faces on Christmas morning. The innonence is breathtaking.
- Snow - who doesn't love snow. Only I wish it would just fall from the sky onto the grass and leave the roads alone!
- The meaning of Christmas itself. It so often gets lost in the shopping and baking. But I love to read the Christmas story and reflect on the true meaning of the season. Growing up we didn't read "The Night Before Christmas" at our house, we read the REAL story out of the Bible. My grandfather read it, my father read it, and now my husband reads it. It's the best story out there.
Hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts. Romans 5:4
Friday, December 14, 2007
My Favorite Things
My son and I went to Target last night to pick up a few things and the song "My Favorite Things" was playing on the radio. I sung along and he asked how I knew this song. I told him it was from a very old movie that I used to watch. While I don't think it was intended initially as a Christmas song, it fits well with the season. Here are a few of my favorite things about Christmas.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You're doing great. And, thanks for the reminder, I'll send you a sugar cookie recipe now.
Post a Comment