Monday, December 10, 2007

Weekend Recap


Ice fell from the sky all weekend, which meant we didn't get out much. My kids and I spent the whole weekend in jammies, loading up on holiday spirit.

First, we baked. And baked, and baked and baked. Cookies, brownies, more cookies, fudge, bread. We baked until we ran out of eggs, oil and brown sugar. Then we found recipes that didn't call for those ingredients (try it, I dare you). I learned that there is a reason my grandmother is such a good baker - she's had nearly a century of practice. My skills do not hold a candle to hers. I also learned that I can't meringue - as in the fluffy stuff on pie (not the dance). I don't do homemade fudge very well either - I'll stick to the marshmallow creme version.

We watched Christmas movies. My children LOVE every kind of Mickey Mouse Christmas movie ever made. They don't care so much for the current movies (Spongebob, Diego). And it turns out their faves are Rudolph and Frosty - the really old ones, narrated by Fred Aistaire. Go figure!

I discovered you don't have to buy your kids new toys for Christmas. Just dig through their toy boxes after they're in bed and put the old toys out that have been buried for a year and VOILA! Christmas in an instant!

We did venture out to the store briefly. I had a list of things to stock up on since the forecast called for more snow and ice. I didn't have a scraper, ice melt or boots on the list. DANG!

While at the store, we shopped for our Christmas angel - a 5 year old boy. My son did all of this shopping. I told him the sizes, he picked out the items. He can be the most selfless, warm hearted and caring child there is when he really tries.

And finally, we slept. All of us - all night both nights. Was it that the heater was running and the whrrr sound it made lulled us to sleep? Or was it that we were loaded up on love from being together all weekend? I'm going with that one.

Thank you, Mother Nature. Bring on the ice anytime.

No comments: