Wednesday, December 19, 2007

On the 8th Year of Christmas

My husband and I celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary yesterday. The above photo shows us on our beautiful wedding day. There was snow on the ground (and ice, it is Kansas, remember). Our country church with a steeple and bell was decorated to the nines in poinsettias, Christmas trees and candles and the the dusk shimmered through the stained glass windows. The Christmas story was read, there was a Nativity scene on the altar, the regal Advent paraments glistened as the entire congregation sang "O Holy Night." It was magical.

Before the pictures, my husband and I met alone in the chapel of the church to see each other and exchange gifts. We told each other then that we had to remember everything about the wedding and the whole day - it couldn't be one of those "whirlwinds" where it's over and you go "whew!" and move on. We made a vow to etch in our minds. And we did. I can tell you what most of the people in congregation were wearing, I remember how the poinsettias smelled, I remember watching my brother in law sing "The Gift" and how adorable my nieces looked in their little flower girl gowns. I love that I remember every detail.

Here we are now. A little older, a little wiser, MUCH more tired (thanks to chasing the kiddos around), but still very much in love. It's been a roller coaster of a ride the last eight years, and I can still remember almost every detail. When my kids are older and ask for stories, I'll have lots to tell.

So on the 8th year of Christmas, my true love gave to me....gosh, don't you wish you knew?

No comments: