Friday, July 11, 2008

Changing Lanes

I had a meltdown last night. Those of you who know me know that this is not unusual - but it's been a while since my last one. It was just one of those times when you cry nonstop but can't really explain why. You talk 100 mph and ask your husband to answer all of your questions and solve all of your problems only he's been listening to you babble for an hour and can't remember anything you said (and you really can't either). But I woke up this morning ready to change lanes and make it a great day. So the kids and I slept in, then watched cartoons in bed, read books, played games, then went to lunch and shopping. They picked the lunch place and agreed to a "prize" at the store - a bucket of play-doh that has now kept them occupied and pleasant for an hour! We've had a great day. And later, I get to have some "me-time" before later, maybe going to a movie with my husband for some "us-time."

The moral to my story is - sometimes melt downs are ok - they make you take inventory. And I've realized that my life is pretty well-stocked with goodness.

Here are some of the things I've been taking for granted that I'm so blessed with:

1. Simplicity. Who knew that a $5 bucket of play-doh would yield so many smiles?




2. Birthdays. Both my son and mother have celebrated birthdays this week. It's a pretty special thing. Even if the gift-giving causes pocket-book stress and fights between kids, it's worth it.

3. Good medicine and doctors. I love our doctors. They make us feel safe and secure when we feel like the world is melting around us.

4. Food options. Living in a town where my kids can actually pick where to go for lunch that isn't fast food means they eat healthier (and so do I), and I feel better about taking them.

5. KU shirts. All of us wore our KU shirts out today - and people took notice. The kids thought it was so cool that we all matched!

6. My son's ability to read! We were at Hobby Lobby buying flowers for my cousin's wedding and I gave my son a list of tag numbers of what we needed. He led the way, found them all and saved me a lot of time!

7. New babies. Our neighbor had a baby on Monday and I got to spend some time holding him. It took away that feeling in the pit of my gut that my life was ruined because I couldn't have any more babies. As long as friends and relatives keep me stocked on baby-love, I know I'll be just fine!

8. Relatives....that do favors like get your kid into a school even if he's not in that district so that you can rest easy that he's being paid attention to, cared for and nurtured when you can't be hovering over him.

9. Flip-flops. It saves us at least 15 minutes getting ready!

10. New sheets - washed and ready to be slept on the first time. When I'm down, I don't drink or eat chocolate, I buy something for my house. New sheets are an indulgence I rarely allow. They are totally worth it.

Here's to the weekend - may it bring goodness to your life and recharge you for the second half of summer.

No comments: