- Go to Spain in high school. It was my first time away from home – and it was for nearly 3 weeks. I loved every minute of it. I have special friendships and memories because of it…and a really bad passport picture.
- Attend college out of town and live in a dorm. I wasn’t as fond of it at the time, but it was such a learning and growing phase for me. It brought into focus what was important, what I wanted and didn’t want, and who I wanted in my life. It was here that I decided I couldn’t live without my (now) husband. And it brought me closer to my roommate, a lifelong friend, whom I’ll always love like a little sister.
- Get married at Christmastime. There was a new blanket of snow and ice on the ground, and it kept a lot of folks from attending the wedding. But it was a beautiful scene. The sun shone off the snow into the stained glass windows, poinsettias were everywhere, and Christmas hymns were sung. It was a dream.
- Start my family early. Now that I’ve had medical issues and can no longer have children, it makes me certain that God’s hand was in our family planning. We started early (23), and finished early (26), but we have two beautiful children to show for it. And I wouldn’t have it any other way.
- Have a cesarean delivery. If I’d known how much easier it was and how much healthier my child would have been, I would have demanded my doctor perform it for my first child. But I can’t change that – I can only be thankful my daughter was born this way – and be thankful that I also experienced a natural delivery with my son, so I can say that I did!
- Move away from home. The last 10 years have been a huge learning curve for my husband and me. Now that we are on track to move back home, nearer to our family and so that we can all help each other in tough times, I’m glad that I had these years to focus on my own little family – having my children, starting my career and living in my wonderful house. However, it will be good to go home.
- Wreck my knee. That sounds like an insane one. But wrecking it meant that I saved my son from serious injury. Allowing it to twist and turn and bend like a knee never should allowed him to land comfortably on my chest, safe from harm – and running to get the phone for me to call for help! I’ll never walk the same again and it’ll always hurt when I get up off the floor – but it’s a reminder of my martyrdom!
- Put all critics and cynics aside when I started dating my husband. He wasn’t the clean-cut, oxford-shirted, college graduate that my family had planned for me. But he was right for me. Looking back now, all of those same cynics and critics are his biggest fans. He even won over my grandfather and got numerous back-pats before my grandfather passed away.
- Be in the room when my grandfather died. This was the closest to God I have ever been. I can honestly say I saw my grandfather’s spirit lift from him and go to Heaven. Unless you’ve been there, you can’t understand that. But it was the single most holy moment I’ve ever experienced. I will never forget it.
- Change colleges and attend/work for my alma mater. Many of my dearest friends are in my life because of this place. I can’t imagine my life without them. I lost a scholarship and gave up a lot of opportunity, but I gained a whole new world.
I can come up with lots more, but these top the list. Relish in the thoughts of things you'd do over, again and again, even knowing what you know now. Happy Weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment