Monday, February 4, 2008

Whew. The Weekend Is Over!

Here are some random notes on my weekend. There were some real word issues, comic strip blunders and just basic LIFE. That’s the stuff weekends are made of!

Saturday morning, I reached to open the fridge to grab some frozen waffles and suddenly realized something was very wrong. It was probably the gush of deer blood and melted ice that made me realize this. My floor was being flooded with thawed deer meat, melted purple popsicles, an entire bin of melted ice and what used to be ice cream.

The first thing to do when the world smacks you in the face is to call your daddy. He came to the rescue and three hours, an ice chest, 6 bags of ice, 5 garbage bags (I’d just grocery shopped, of course) and lots of Clorox later, my kitchen was back to looking normal – though it certainly wasn’t functioning normally.

Always buy the extended warranty – even if you don’t think you’ll ever use it. Everything will be paid for tomorrow when the Maytag guy comes over. This will leave us $$ to re-buy groceries (what fun).

You eat less as a rule when you can’t just open your fridge and grab something. Somehow walking downstairs to the mini-fridge or outside to the ice chest takes the fun out of snacking.

Throwing your arms up into the air to make the “TOUCHDOWN” sign isn’t taught. It’s instinct. Both of my children do it automatically – for either team. It was a good thing there was more of it for Mr. Manning yesterday!

If you aren’t accustomed to taking your son video-game shopping – just don’t. By the time I had a very confusing conversation with the store clerk, my son had his new game picked out and was standing in line to pay. I just ended up looking like an idiot.

Never skip church and then go out to eat. With my husband working and my fridge NOT working, the kids and I headed to Wendy’s. At least 10 of our church elders were there. Also, never assume fries are your kids’ choice of side. My daughter ate my entire baked potato and asked for more.

Parties of 11 get seated quicker and are given better service when one member is in full military dress. Also, when your in laws are paying for dinner and tell you to get whatever you want, DO IT! I enjoyed a margarita for the first time in months!

Little red heads with blue eyes can melt daddy’s heart better than anyone. Upon being showered with kisses and snuggles and told “I love you, daddy” I saw tears well up in my husband’s eyes and he said “Maybe we should think about having more.” AAGGGHHH!

Playing house isn’t just for kids. Upon my husband’s “let's have more” announcement, I got out a baby doll, put it on the couch and every 15 minutes told my husband it needed changed, fed, burped, rocked and swaddled. That somehow took the fun out of it.

All in all, the weekend was good. MUCH better than a vomiting child. I just wonder - will a weekend ever come that brings rest and relaxation? My dad says he hasn't had one yet. Great, he's such a ray of sunshine!

No comments: