In honor of President’s Day, my 5-yr old son is learning about great leaders in America’s history. We’ve had books and papers to do about George Washington, Abe Lincoln, Harriet Tubman and MLK Jr. this week. I struggled to remember who Harriet Tubman was. “Mom, she worked hard to free the slaves” he announced. Duh, mom.
One of his papers said “Tell about someone who you think is a great leader.” Here’s what he wrote.
“My mom is a great leader. She helps lots of people and loves me so much.”
When I saw this in his paper stack, of course I cried. Of all the people in his life, he picked me.
I don’t think of myself as a great leader – or even a leader at all. But I think it proves that to our children, we are seen this way. We may be “too bossy” (his words recently), but in the end, our efforts are recognized – even by our littlest followers – as leadership.
So think about what you do and say around your little ones. History is judging you!
No comments:
Post a Comment