Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Wow, We're Getting Old!

My son is crazy in love with the Indiana Jones legacy. The commercialization of the new movie has everyone going hog wild over everything with Indiana Jones on it. My children both hum the theme song (come on, you do it too, admit it). Everything in their life this last week has been “Indy Jones” this and “Indy Jones” that.

So last night I broke out the Indiana Jones DVD collection. I’d watched the movies many times growing up and remembered just about every minute detail. My husband hadn’t seen them since they were at the theatre. My son was so excited. We started with “The Last Crusade” since it was the most “family oriented” (aka least “scary”) in my book.

My son was mesmerized. My husband asked me a few minutes into it, “What year was this made?” I guessed mid 1990’s, since I remembered it so clearly.

I grabbed the box. 1989. Gulp. “1989? Are you sure?” he asked me. That’s what it said. Yikes. My son asked how old we were when the movie was made. “10” we said. “Wow, and you remember it that many years ago?” our son asked.

Thanks, kiddo.

Seriously, an hour into it, I was still baffled. “That was 20 years ago! Harrison Ford was 41 years old. Why did he wait until he was 61 to make a sequel?”

I guess I’ll have to wait until we see it to know that answer. Wow, it’s amazing how something like that can make you feel old. But hey, at least our son thinks Indiana Jones is cool. And that's something pretty amazing.