Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A Day of Memories

My son became a 5 year old today. I cannot even wrap by brain around it. It took my husband and I almost 2 years to conceive this little guy. I remember the moment we found out I was pregnant - I even remember what I was wearing. The moment I told my husband is etched in brain forever. Telling our families, every major (and minor) milestone of the pregnancy - I remember it all. I remember every moment of the LONG labor, excruciating delivery and the 10 terrifying days that followed his traumatic birth. How can something so beautiful and wonderful be so scary and overwhemingly mind and heart numbing all at the same time?

Here he stands five years later - a beautiful, smart, ornery, loving, sarcastic, caring, mischievous, curious, confident, charismatic and strikingly handsome little man. Little bits of everything good and bad from his daddy and me make up his DNA - he's just the right blend of the both of us. He's everything I hoped he would be and more and I'm so blessed to be his mommy.

On this day last year, I lost a special friend to her battle with cancer. I came home still upset and crying from a day spent with grieving family and friends and funeral planning. My son asked me why I was so sad on his birthday - a happy day, he thought. I explained that my friend had died and gone to heaven and that I missed her. I remember clear as day, this then just turned 4 year old hugged me and said "God wanted her at His house just like He wanted me at our house." How is it that children often have answers that we somehow can't come up with?

As I celebrate my son's life on his birthday and the life of my friend on the day of her passing, I'm reminded how special memories are. Whether good memories or bad, they are a keepsake of the moments of celebrating and suffering we have endured that have made us who we are today.

"Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." Matthew 19:14

No comments: