Monday, July 9, 2007

Rookie Blogger

My dearest friend has convinced me that blogging is as healing as keeping a diary, eating bon bons or blaming your husband for something he didn't do (my words, not hers). So I thought I'd might as well take a stab at it.

Tonight was the Homerun Derby, but I missed it. I spent 2 1/2 hours getting my son ready for bed. He has an ear infection and refused to take his medicine. No amount of bribing, coaxing, holding him down, reasoning with him, crying or guilt trips would change his decision. Finally, I called my MIL in tears (somehow she was able to give the rx to him earlier today). She had no luck either. He finally realized he was acting like a 4 year old (ok, so he is a 4 year old - but only until tomorrow) and allowed us to administer the medication. Finally, just as the Derby was ending, he went to bed. Five years ago tonight, I laid in bed and watched the Derby while in labor and thought "I can't WAIT for this child to get here." Tonight I thought "What I wouldn't give to lay and watch the Derby." I was obviously a rookie mother then - I'm slowly raising my average.

After he was sleeping soundly, I ventured downstairs to set up my blog and saw my husband holding our baby, both of them snoozing cuddled together in a chair and I realized that no amount of training or conditioning prepares you to be a parent. It just smacks you in the face like a wild pitch.

Never again will my posts contain that many sports cliches, I promise.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

I love it!! Can't wait to see what's next!