Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Love Thy Neighbor

If I built a house in the middle of the countryside in the most desolate area of the world, someone would buy the lot next to me and test my patience as amusement.

I hate my neighbors. Ok, so "hate" might be a strong word, but I'm struggling for another one. Let's talk about a few of the things our neighbors have done recently:

  • Put out "Kujo" the barking dog that weighs 300 pounds and echoes for miles at 10pm and leave him out barking until 7am when they leave for work. Then he gets to go in.
  • Mow at 5:30am.
  • Ring our doorbell before the sun is up sporting only skimmies to see if our son can play.
  • Feed our dog a kitten, just to see if she was hungry (thankfully, she wasn't).
  • Fire up the cement grinder at 6am with the garage door wide open spewing concrete dust and the loudest possible noise into our house.
  • Jump rope in boxers (don't try to picture it, it's not pretty).
  • Build a beautiful deck onto their home, increasing it's value I'm sure, only to sit on it almost naked, drinking beer and tossing the bottles into their trailer which is parked on the grass with trashed piled 5 feet high in it.
  • Ride bikes on our retaining wall (which is 6 inches wide) while we pray they don't fall, crack open their heads and sue us for liability (thank God for insurance).

Shall I go on or do you get the picture? These are all different neighbors, people! Last year we had had enough and tried to move. Guess what, the house wouldn't sell. Ya think? Did the dozens of prequalified people who walked through our gorgeous home take a look around them? Who can blame them? My dad told me last week as I was venting to him that we should just enjoy our HOUSE and not worry about everyone else. Easy for him to say - his neighbor is his mother - the sweetest, cleanest, quietest person on the planet. Nonetheless, he is right. We have worked off our rears to make this house beautiful from the inside out and it's our home - no one should run us out of it.

So we'll just wait for an act of God to run our neighbors out.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

I have to agree with you - if you move to the country, this neighbor thing will still be an issue...:o)