Saturday, July 21, 2007

Mommy vs. "Maybe in 5 years"

I spent some time with my soon to be sister in law today. We went over to try on my daughter's dress for the wedding (she's the flower girl). During the course of the hour we were there, my daughter did the following, to which the bride-to-be nearly jumped ship.

  • She grabbed the remote to the plasma tv and took off, all the while changing channels.
  • She took an open bottle of water and tried to pour it into the hamster sipper.
  • She bonked her head on the very-not-baby-proof coffee table.
  • She did a back flip off the couch onto a flower/candle arrangement.
  • She took the box of straight pens and pretended it was a shot put, sending it flying.
  • She tried to squash the hamster.
  • She raided the coveted candy stash on the desk.
  • She did everything but try on her dress.

Every hour that the bride spends with my darling daughter (or son) makes a year tack onto the "maybe in 5 years" mantra they maintain to the "When are you having a baby?" question. I think we're up to about 9 years now. I keep trying to explain that she's a perfectly normal 2 year old, not a heathen and that we are good parents who really do maintain order.

I don't think she buys it.

No comments: