Thursday, July 12, 2007

My Do It


If I had a dollar for every time my daughter said "My do it," I wouldn't have to work anymore. She is the most independent little being I know. From changing her own diaper to pouring her own milk, this little monkey wants to do everything herself. She doesn't realize how much easier and quicker it would be if she just allowed us to assist her...even a little. Now, we don't want to hinder her or anything, but COME ON, putting flip flops on shouldn't take 12 minutes.

Yesterday at work I had to get 3 large, heavy boxes from one side of the building to my office on the other side. So I just marched in there, picked one up, made it 3 feet, put it down. Took a breath, tried again - another three feet. When I was in view, a (male) colleague said "Would you like some help?" My instinctive reply, "No, I've got it." HEAVE. I didn't have it. Finally, another male colleague says "There are 5 strong men within arms reach and you think you have to do it yourself?" And he proceeded to take the box and send other men after the remaining boxes. Showoffs. I was referred to the rest of the day as "the martyr."

Is it because I'm a woman that I feel like I have something to prove and try to do everything myself? Is it because I'm a mom and am used to doing (almost) everything for everyone? Or is it just a weird inherited gene? I think the answer to all of those questions is Yes. Have you ever known a woman who didn't try to take on the world?

It occurred to me last night as my daughter was screaming "MY DO IT!" to me as she was getting ready for bed after her bath and my jaw was clenching tighter that she's a mini-me! Good? Bad? The jury is still out. Part of me wants to be proud of her for taking on the world (and pajamas) and the other part of me wants to say to her, "No, mommy will do it."

As irritating as it is sometimes, it does give me hope that someday she'll be a strong, independent and self-starting woman and mother ready to take on the world. Hopefully she'll let someone carry the heavy boxes.

No comments: