Thursday, September 27, 2007

10 Things To Learn

I have a love of learning. But since graduating from college, life has gone so fast that the 4 novels I week I used to spit out is now about 1 a year. I recently read a book for work ("Good to Great" by Jim Collins) and had such a blast outlining it and taking notes. This reminded me that there are lots of things that I’d like to learn more about. Here are just 10:

  • How children/stroke victims, etc. develop speech. I took a linguistics class under a phenomenal professor in college and just knew I was going to flunk. But something in this class sparked a keen interest and I now believe that I will get my Masters in this field. I am intrigued by the way speech develops, how the brain puts it all together, etc. It’s so amazing.
  • Global warming. It’s all the rage these days and everyone is talking about “going green.” I wish I knew more about it and could understand what the real consequences are if we don’t start making changes.
  • Massage therapy – not so I could give massage, but so I could instruct my husband how to give me better massages!
  • Cooking/baking. I hold my own, but I would LOVE to be able to create beautiful looking, tasting (and healthy) dishes for others.
  • Electronics. I just want to be able to watch my TV downstairs without a manual!
  • Potty training children. We finally got it through my son’s head when he was nearly 4. My daughter is 2 and I’m just about fed up with changing diapers until my grandchildren arrive. We need to get this little gal motivated!
  • Medicine. Not just the stuff you swallow, but the whole world of medicine. I wish I knew more about my parents' illnesses, how to diagnose my children and determine how to fix it all.
  • Sewing – I have a couple pairs of trousers that need hemmed, shirts that need buttons and ripped toy animals that need surgery – and I have no idea how to do any of it. And yes, I took Home Ec – but 15 years ago!
  • The Bible. Waiting for my plane earlier this week, I witnessed a woman doing Bible Trivia with her 2 young children (probably 10 and 12) and they knew every answer. In my head as I was eaves-dropping, I captured about 1/3 of the correct answers.
  • Our world – its land, waters, history – there is so much to know and learn about our Earthly home. I hope that in my time here, I get to explore more of it and uncover its true beauty.

No comments: