Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Truth or Fiction

On the news this morning, they were showing pictures and footage of the 9/11 attacks. Some stations choose not to, but the station I was watching did. My children and I were in my bedroom as I was getting myself and my daughter dressed. Meanwhile, my son was playing on my bed with his Ninja Turtles. I didn’t figure he was paying attention to the TV, but then suddenly he asked, “Is that airplane going to hit that building?”

That was one of those moments when you can’t rely on your instincts, because your instincts tell you to lie. “No, airplanes don’t hit buildings, it’s just a picture,” is what came to mind. But instead I chose to say, “Well, yes, that airplane did hit that building.”

“Did the people on the plane get hurt?”

Again, the struggle of whether to go for truth or fiction.

“Yes, honey. They did. And so did all of the people inside of the building. In fact, many of them died.”

With a concerned look, his voice quieter, “Why did the plane fly into the building?”

Truth or fiction was out the window – now it was time to just let go and let God. The next 15 minutes involved a conversation about why people do bad things and why God lets bad things happen to good people. I allowed him to watch the remaining footage of the buildings collapsing and the firefighters digging. I didn’t go into too much detail, but I also didn’t skip over the important stuff. He is old enough to realize that life isn’t like what he sees on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Sponge Bob.

Everyone remembers what they were doing when it happened. It’s our generation’s JFK assassination – etched in our memories forever. Someday not too far from now, my children will be studying this day in their History classes at school, but for now it is our responsibility as parents and Americans to have this conversation with our children, as uncomfortable as it is. Children are smarter than we think and can usually handle the truth.

I’m glad I choose to go with it this morning.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

It's amazing how kids deal with this. It's like they know when they are ready/not ready. I had Oprah on today and there was footage of the Pentagon. He said, "Who's house is that?" I said, "It's not a house, it's a building that people work at." His response - "Oh," and he went on playing. That was the end of that. I was shocked.