Thursday, September 6, 2007

10 "Things"

My friend wrote last week about how her two toddlers seemed to resemble Thing 1 & Thing 2 from Dr. Seuss’s “The Cat in the Hat.” That got me thinking about how my own family – not just the children – also remind me of those whimsical little characters sometimes – and a few others Dr. Seuss created. Here’s how:
  • My "things" are just as treacherous an adventure as Thing 1 and Thing 2. They thrive off each other's trouble, do the opposite of what you tell them, and make every mess imaginable. But they're so darn cute, you just have to smile. (kids and husband included)

  • My son is the starring character of “I am Not Going to Get Up Today." I hear this EVERY morning. He does ultimately get up, then he eats....

  • ...Green Eggs and Ham. He thinks this is what he's served for every meal (unless it's lasagne, sloppy joes or pizza). He will not eat it in a box, he will not eat it with a fox.

  • “If I Ran the Circus” and “If I Ran the Zoo” are two Dr. Seuss MUST have written with moms in mind. We do run the circus and the zoo, people...they're called households!

  • We all like to “Hop on Pop!” Who doesn’t?!

  • “Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?” –a phrase we try to say to each other at our house - when we're down or when "It's a Great Day for UP!"

  • “The Shapes of Me” and other stuff (that we won’t talk about) is an almost daily topic at our house. UGH.

  • Horton tells us in “Horton Hears a Who” that “Every person is a person, no matter how small.” How true – we should all take the time to hear the whos in our houses.

  • Friends, co-workers, my husband and children are often amazed at the resources I have at hand – in my purse, my car, my desk. It’s not uncommon to find a “Wocket in My Pocket!”

  • I’ve always loved “Oh, the Places You’ll Go” because it promotes confidence in your own abilities. We pray every day that God will guide us to wonderful places and that we can also inspire confidence in our children.

    Isn’t it amazing how children’s books can be so enlightening?! I hope you hear a who, eat green eggs and ham, have an UP day and remember the difference between your left foot and right as you go through your day - who knows the places you'll go!

No comments: