I’ve been trying to write an entry about my daughter’s 2nd birthday for several days now. When I wrote about my son turning 5, it just rolled out of me. But for some reason, I have writer’s block on this one and I don’t know why. I’ve thought about writing about her birth, but there was nothing especially different about it – 12 hours of full blown labor followed by a c-section. She had to stay a few days in NICU with jaundice, but was otherwise healthy, unlike the terror stories of my son’s birth and first days of life. Her birthday party was great – no major glitches or surprises, just fun with friends and family. There has to be something to write about.
Maybe it should be about how wonderful it is to have a daughter. I remember when we went to have our sonogram, my husband pronounced that we didn’t need any girls and he was sure it was a boy. When the tech said “Your daughter looks great,” I looked at my husband with tears, hoping I wouldn’t see disappointment in his face. He was glowing. “Really? A girl?” he said. “Yep, she looks great.” We instantly named her and for the next several months, the idea of having a girl had me so excited I could hardly stand it. When she was born, I kept waiting for the doctors and nurses to say “She” this and “she” that but they just kept calling her “the baby.” I finally said “she’s a girl, right?” And from behind me I heard the nurse pronounce over her screams “A nine pound girl!” An hour or so later when my husband returned to recovery after going with her to the nursery to get cleaned up, he sat down and put his face right up to mine and whispered “She has red hair.” I still tear up thinking about that moment. You see, ever since that sonogram, I told everyone we were having a red-headed little girl. It became a joke – and now it was real and I was RIGHT! And anyone who knows me knows I love to be right.
She has been a joy from her conception – a surprise conception we never dreamed of considering it took two years to achieve our son. This little ray of sunshine we have deemed our “dolly” changed our lives forever. She’s brought out the best and worst in her older brother. She was the first grandchild born after the death of my grandfather and I’ve watched her and my grandmother develop a bond that cannot be matched. She’s more than likely the last grandchild my parents will know – and I purposely take mental notes and store memories of their interactions. Her giggle lights up a room and her cries break my heart. Watching her hug and kiss her brother goodnight and seeing him completely love her in every way has made me understand what unconditional love really is. I was one of those people who wondered how you could divide your heart to allow love for another child, but then realized that your ability to love just keeps multiplying.
So here's to my beautiful birthday girl - I hope all of her wishes come true.
Maybe it should be about how wonderful it is to have a daughter. I remember when we went to have our sonogram, my husband pronounced that we didn’t need any girls and he was sure it was a boy. When the tech said “Your daughter looks great,” I looked at my husband with tears, hoping I wouldn’t see disappointment in his face. He was glowing. “Really? A girl?” he said. “Yep, she looks great.” We instantly named her and for the next several months, the idea of having a girl had me so excited I could hardly stand it. When she was born, I kept waiting for the doctors and nurses to say “She” this and “she” that but they just kept calling her “the baby.” I finally said “she’s a girl, right?” And from behind me I heard the nurse pronounce over her screams “A nine pound girl!” An hour or so later when my husband returned to recovery after going with her to the nursery to get cleaned up, he sat down and put his face right up to mine and whispered “She has red hair.” I still tear up thinking about that moment. You see, ever since that sonogram, I told everyone we were having a red-headed little girl. It became a joke – and now it was real and I was RIGHT! And anyone who knows me knows I love to be right.
She has been a joy from her conception – a surprise conception we never dreamed of considering it took two years to achieve our son. This little ray of sunshine we have deemed our “dolly” changed our lives forever. She’s brought out the best and worst in her older brother. She was the first grandchild born after the death of my grandfather and I’ve watched her and my grandmother develop a bond that cannot be matched. She’s more than likely the last grandchild my parents will know – and I purposely take mental notes and store memories of their interactions. Her giggle lights up a room and her cries break my heart. Watching her hug and kiss her brother goodnight and seeing him completely love her in every way has made me understand what unconditional love really is. I was one of those people who wondered how you could divide your heart to allow love for another child, but then realized that your ability to love just keeps multiplying.
So here's to my beautiful birthday girl - I hope all of her wishes come true.
1 comment:
She is soooo sweet!
Post a Comment