We are no longer house hunters. We narrowed the field to 0 and got depressed. Then God cracked open a window. Some friends of my husband’s parents offered to sell us their house. We’d considered this as an option many months ago, but they wanted too much and we decided it would be better to look around. After finding nothing, we kept coming back and saying, “I wish we could just buy their house.” But it was no use. They weren’t going to come down to our budget. And it was too complicated with the friendship involved.
But then something changed. The Lord was at work. The lady of the house decided that we had to have the house. She knew we would lovingly care for it. She knew that we would allow her to visit. She convinced her husband that money couldn’t buy peace of mind. She even decided she’d leave several special items in the house she’d previously planned to take (beautiful faucets, light fixtures, curtains). They called and asked us to visit – we did and then men shook on it. We now have a great home we currently live in while we await the buyers to sell their house, and we have a great house awaiting us.
Now is where things get fun…and complicated. I want to start buying things for the new house. Bedding for my daughter’s room (the kids finally get their own rooms), bar stools, a piano, towels to match the bathrooms – all that fun stuff. My husband, ever the logical thinker, thinks it’s too soon. On the other hand, he also thinks that we should get a bridge loan and start moving in as soon as possible. Huh?
Whatever comes of the next few months, there is excitement and stress all rolled into one. I’ll get to quit my job and dedicate more time to my family. That’s the big picture. The smaller picture includes wondering if my children will adapt ok to a new house, new rooms, new neighbors, and a new town. Will living on the same street as my in-laws make me turn into Debra from “Everybody Loves Raymond” and spark me to start taking Prozac? Will living in the same town as ALL of our family help us to grow closer? Will I be sucked into a vortex of caring for sick people and lack joy in my life? Will my son like his new school and make new friends? Will my husband and I FINALLY get to spend some alone time together with family around to help watch the kids? Will my husband getting ready for work at 4am in the master bathroom make me crabby?
I like things to stay calm and consistent, so moving is a HUGE ordeal for me. Every box must be packed neatly and labeled with a corresponding list of what is in it. Every box must be unpacked the same weekend we move in. But I’m getting way ahead of myself. First, I have to start going through the YEARS of things in our current house and make myself part with some of it – clothes that don’t fit, baby things we won’t ever need again, toys the kids have tired of playing with, my irritating neighbors, my beautiful kitchen…
A new day is dawning. Will I be ready?
No comments:
Post a Comment