Thursday, March 13, 2008

Pretty Ponies

Let me tell you the difference between sons and daughters – daughters are WAY easier. At least that’s been our experience. Everything from her birth to her “firsts” to each tooth she cut has been loads easier than with our son. And now is a huge test – potty training.

With my son, we endured years of tears, fights, accidents and rebellion. He just didn’t get it. And he didn’t WANT to get it. He was perfectly content to keep life the way it was. I can remember sitting in the bathroom on the floor crying my heart out because he’d go 10 days without doing a big job, then he’d be so plugged that we’d have to put in suppositories and he screamed in agony. Finally at about age 4 (with the pressure of preschool upon him), he figured out and we’ve had smooth sailing since. But man, were those long years. There is lots of scar tissue on my heart from them.

Now, our 2-year old daughter is quite a different bag of beans. Off and on for several months, she’s announced she’s going to go use the potty. She just goes in and does it. She tells us when she needs a diaper change – and she’s right. Last week, I decided to buy her some pretty pony panties.

“I won’t go potty on the pretty ponies,” she said. “I’ll go in the potty. The ponies don’t want to be wet!”

And with daughters (at least our daughter), that's how it’s done. Praise God for giving me this daughter to repair the mental anguish from those years with my son when I thought I had to be the worst parent on the planet and a total failure. I forgot to factor in that even though he is my son and I couldn't love him more, he’s simply a smaller version of a MAN!

2 comments:

Casey said...

Depends on the daughter. I bought my daughter princess panties. She pottied in them and informed me, in a matter-of-fact voice, "The princesses are sad. They're wet. And crying." No remorse, whatsoever. My son, however, had a coronary when he dribbled on Buzz and Woody.

Theresa Walker said...

Yeah, I would agree with Casey...not that we are to the potty training stage yet. But, Gabi is pretty darn stubborn. She pushed me away for a over an hour today when I tried to get her to take a nap, even though she was crying while she played with her toys. Then, it took another 25 minutes of her crying in her crib before she finally fell asleep. Really, I don't know where she got that stubborn streak from! :)