Lately my husband has been haunted by his vows. That whole "in sickness and in health" clause has been biting him in the fanny.
Friday evening, I started to feel like I was coming down with something. I’ve felt crummy for the month since my surgery, so this wasn’t any front-page news! I went to bed early and my husband woke me up at 5:00am when he left for work Saturday and said “You feel warm. Be sure to take your temperature when you get up.”
At 7am, the kids climbed into bed with me for Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I felt terrible and could barely move, but didn’t want to disappoint them. After a few minutes, I just had to get up. I followed my husband’s advice and my temp was 103.8. AAGH! Every inch of my body hurt, I was dizzy and couldn’t get warm. I felt nauseated, like I'd been hit by a train and it hurt to even have clothes touching my skin.
I called my folks, woke them up and said “You have to come get the kids, I’m really sick.” For the next hour or so, I laid on the couch, shivering and covered with every blanket my son could carry to me while they fixed themselves breakfast (they are 5 and 2 – and yes, it can be done without a disaster. I was SO proud of them) and watched cartoons downstairs in the playroom, far away from me. My folks arrived about 9 and dressed them and scurried away with suitcases in hand. I immediately called my doctor and he said to come in as soon as possible. (God bless Saturday morning office hours).
Now, you’re probably thinking – “You called the doctor?” Yes, I did. It's what I do. And it's a very good thing - I've never been sorry. I then called my husband’s work. The security guard heard the tears and pain in my voice and paged him against policy. When he didn’t answer, I told the man the situation and he personally went looking for him along with a supervisor. An hour – yes, an HOUR later – my husband pulled into the drive and away we went. (This is remarkable, given that they NEVER page him, much less find him and relay a message).
Within an hour of being seen, I was admitted with a 104 fever, heart rate of 150 and BP of 90/50. None of those are good things, I’m told. I now have 6 needle pokes and IV bruises to show off (my son thinks I’m SO brave) and after 2 days of IV antibiotics, lots of rest and amazing care from my doctors and nurses, I am back on my feet.
We still don’t know what this mystery illness/infection is. We’re awaiting blood cultures and test results. But I know it kicked my rear. I am so thankful for my doctor, nurses, parents and inlaws for stepping up with the kids and my husband for being by my side (again) the whole time. I don't have the best track record as a nurse and I prefer the "and in health" part of the vow. But I'm so blessed that my husband and family step up when called on - I hope I don't have to bother them again for a long time.
No comments:
Post a Comment