Last night at supper, my son asked me why I didn’t have to work on Friday. I told him it was a Holiday, so I got to stay home. “What Holiday is it?” he asked. “It’s Good Friday.” This began a really interesting conversation.Him: “Every Friday is good!”
Me: “Well Good Friday is a little different. It is the day that Jesus died.”
Him: “What happened after he died?”
Me: “He became alive again on Easter and now he lives in Heaven.”
Him: “He became alive again? WOW! Will I become alive again after I die someday?”
Me: “If you believe there is a Jesus and a God and a Heaven, then yes, you will.”
Him: “I believe all of that! Are there people who don’t believe that?”
Me: “Unfortunately there are. There are lots of people who don’t believe in Jesus.”
Him: “What happens to them when they die?”
Me: “They don’t get to live with Jesus in Heaven.”
Him: “I wonder why they don’t believe. Can’t they see everything that He made?”
Me: “It’s hard to imagine not believing in God. I’m really glad that you do.”
Him: “I DO believe. I wonder what Heaven looks like?”
Then there was silence as I saw his little mind going to work. What an amazing conversation to have with your 5 year old. As I sat and looked at him, and my daughter sitting on my lap listening to all of this, I just thought how deep a chord this conversation struck. “Can’t they see everything that He made?” When I look at my children, there’s nothing that can keep me from believing.
1 comment:
Wow! My daughter (8 years old) just had her first Communion- notice the capitalization. I've been telling her for a few years that even though the church we attend, First United Methodist, would allow her to take communion I believe that children should have full understanding and commitment before doing so. It was one of the most powerful moments in our lives together; sitting in the back of this large sanctuary having my daughter tell me what she believes, why she believes it, asking Jesus to be her Lord and Savior, asking the Holy Spirit to be a part of her daily life and help her to be a good Christian. Then walking down the looooong isle to the alter, tears streaming down my face with a grin that must have projected at least 5 miles. What a privilidge it is to be a parent. I try to remember that when she's hugging her brother a little to hard and rolling around on the floor!
Post a Comment