Wednesday, March 12, 2008

House Hunters

Do you ever watch “House Hunters” on HGTV? I’m addicted. I’ve even sucked my husband in. Every episode, someone looking for a home “narrows” their search down to three amazing homes to choose from and then they always get it – no haggling, no negotiating, and no messiness. This people, is NOT reality TV. It is purely fictional entertainment.

Our house has been on the market nearing two months. We have showings at least 3-5 times a week. We had three yesterday alone. So far, two offers have come across the table. Both have been low and the buyers have asked for stupid things – like for us to pay their down payment, to leave our TV, porch furniture, etc. We are negotiating both - cautiously.

In the meantime, we have been looking for new homes “back home” where we grew up, so we can be nearer to our families. This has not proven to be an easy task. While I was in the hospital this weekend, my husband (at my encouragement) looked at 15 houses within our price range. All 15 were junk. There was no narrowing – they all got the “not in a million years” vote.

We have now upped our price range slightly and we are sweating like pigs wondering how we’re going to make ends meet (it’s not that bad, I’m exaggerating for dramatic effect). There were then three – count them THREE – possibilities. Two sold yesterday. So, I went last night to the one remaining contender and two others our realtor threw in to make it worth my time. One was a “eh” that needed lots of work for too much money, the other two were not contenders. Do you think they’d do a House Hunters episode about us?

Because THIS is reality.

No comments: