Thursday, January 17, 2008

Dinner Epiphany

I realized something yesterday - I enjoy cooking dinner for my family. How about that? For a while now I’ve been trying to figure out why on the evenings that my husband has been off that day, that I’ve worked all day and still end up making supper. But as I was cleaning up last night, I realized that I’m not even bitter with my husband for not cooking because I really do enjoy doing it. He admitted to me upon this epiphany that he really doesn’t enjoy making dinner – he’d rather do the grocery shopping from the list I’ve made, make an occasional delicious dessert (his specialty) and clean the kitchen – and leave dinner to me.

And I don’t just throw a pizza in the oven or TV dinners. I make actual meals – a meat, vegetable, starch and sometimes even dessert. It may not be grand, but it is generally nutritious and yummy. I take huge pride in this accomplishment – that’s the first time I’ve admitted that!

The last two days, I was home with pink-eyed children. We made healthy lunches and snacks together and then they helped me make dinner. They always do this, but somehow the last two days, I got tremendous joy from it. Maybe it's a preview of what our afternoons will be like when I'm subbing and get off at 3:00 and have the extra time to add extra love to the meal.

Now, if I could just have epiphanies about enjoying housework and laundry! Probably not going to happen. I'm pretty content with the dinner epiphany - it can hold me over for a while.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Can you make that contagious? I need some of that!