I found out this weekend that my husband still likes me! And I like him too! Ok, that sounds really strange. Of course we like each other - we're married. That's not always the case. I know lots of people who LOVE each other but don't really LIKE each other. There's plenty of love in our house - but we sometimes forget how likeable we really can be.
My husband and I went on a date Saturday. A REAL date. No kids, no money worries, no expectations or lists. We shopped, we ate (a lot), we went to a movie and held hands. We played checkers on a Starbucks table and shared feelings with each other over dessert. We talked some, other times we just enjoyed the silence around us. As we walked into dinner, he squeezed my hand and said "I forgot how much I really like you!"
We hardly EVER go out. Money is a factor for sure, daycare is another factor. Since we both work full time we feel like the time at home needs to be with the kids, even though we've read all the studies that if you take care of yourself and your marriage first, your children will be happier. It's so true - after spending that day together remembering how bright our flame really is, it was a lot easier to handle the idiosyncricies of our children the rest of the weekend!
So, what did I gain from this experience? Some great new clothes and shoes, an awesome new restaurant to add to our fave list, and a warmth in my heart knowing that even though I know he loves me, my husband still likes me!
No comments:
Post a Comment