Tuesday, January 29, 2008

That Pesky Remorse Thing Again

One week from Friday, I’m scheduled for surgery. It took me weeks to come to a decision – and honestly, I never really did commit. I polled girl friends, my sisters, my cousins, and moms. I researched on the internet and cried on my husband’s shoulder.

One day last week I got home from work and my doctor’s nurse was on the recorder asking to call her back. When I did, she said “We have you scheduled for this and this and this on February 8.” I said, “Oh, ok. Is that we discussed?” She said, “No, but doctor has made up his mind for you.”

Ok, then. That made the decision easier. I was ok with it. No butterflies started flapping their wings in my gut; no tears started welling in my eyes. Peace came over me and I felt good about it and filed to the rear until the day came.

Then the written literature and check in paperwork arrived in my mailbox. I could have done without the step by step pictures and drawings of what would be happening to me. Suddenly, my chest hurt. The more I read, the worse I felt and the more scared I got. The pictures got more detailed. My heart sank lower.

This is a huge decision for an otherwise healthy, young female to make – even it has been recommended by a doctor. It’s not like being cut open and having a baby pulled out out of you. At least then you have something warm, soft and beautiful to show for your pain. This time, I will go home with less than I came with. And if I have remorse later, there’s no acting on it. It’s a done deal.

I have until I go under to change my mind or make peace. Lord help me.

1 comment:

Theresa Walker said...

We will definitely be praying for you. In our new small group Bible study down here in TX, one of the wives has to have another surgery too because of a rare disease (she's like one in 70 or something). So, that surgery's been on my mind a lot lately...
Prayin' for you (and your family)!
T