After the last few days, I decided that I really needed a pick-me-up! So last night after work I headed to the Christian Book Store to find myself a Bible study curriculum to begin working on. Beth Moore has always been a favorite of mine, and there are two studies of hers I’ve been eyeing. But I was drawn to a study called “Night Light for Parents” by James Dobson, who also ranks high on my list. (For those with sons, his book “Bringing Up Boys” is a must-read).
The 16 week study is meant to be done in 20 minutes or less each night before bed, with additional time set aside for prayer. There are places to write thoughts, prayers, things that are worrying me, etc. On the way home, I was feeling kind of bad that I felt the need to get a book about how to make your parenting life and relationships at home better – like it was a confession I was a bad mother/wife in need of assistance. But you know what, I AM in need of assistance – and there’s no shame admitting you need God’s help!
As I was trying to tell my husband about my purchase, my kids ran their Doritos fingers down the wall in the living room, my daughter announced she was stinky then tried to change herself without taking off her pants (she sees me remove my bra without taking off my shirt and thinks it’s a cool trick), my son had a total meltdown because his Nintendo DS lost its charge and died mid-game (which he was winning) - and my husband looked at me with a little grin and said “Yep, you bought the right book.”
So tonight is the night I turn on my night-light and see what the Lord has to say about regaining my confidence to manage a household while also managing to maintain the strength to cope with ailing parents, selling our house and moving, taking care of a health-challenged child and all else life throws my way. Lord help me!
No comments:
Post a Comment