Friday, January 11, 2008

A Parent - AKA...

Over the course of the last few days, I have been taking notice of some of the odd jobs that parents do. I never really pictured myself doing these things when I was growing up and dreaming of snuggling my offspring – but it turns out I’m pretty good at all of them (most of the time). Here are a few of the roles my husband and I are also known as…

  • Doctor – we read lab reports and CT scans, count respirations and suction phlegm
  • Beautician – doing manicures, pedicures, hair cuts and up-dos
  • Surgeon – we’ve performed major and minor surgery on many dear friends (toys)
  • Computer Tech – figuring out cheat codes for video games I can’t play
  • Detective – looking for missing socks, puzzles pieces, hair clippies, toys….
  • Recreation Pro – designing indoor golf courses, bowling alleys and soccer fields
  • Chef –creating menus, making meals, examining ingredient lists and nutrition labels and making the meals enjoyable (I think this is the hardest job yet)
  • Analyst – analyzing dreams, arguments, punishments, medical conditions, sports plays, weather and meltdowns
  • Therapist – helping the kids through death and illness of loved ones, being picked on at school, changing daycares, friends moving away and dealing with LIFE
  • Hero – no matter what happens, kids always look to you as the person who takes care of it all, protects and shelters them and makes it ok. It's the one job you can screw up almost daily, but still be praised for. It’s the best role there is.

No comments: