Thursday, January 3, 2008

Our Monsters


My son is suddenly afraid of the dark and my daughter has a new-found fear of trees.

I have no idea where my son’s fear is stemming from. He has a night light. He sleeps with a flash light, we leave the hall light on. He’s NEVER feared the dark - until about three nights ago (my theory is that he fears going to bed because he might miss something fun).

There is a little more insight into my daughter’s fears. A few weeks ago when we had the ice storm, trees all around us snapped and popped, broke and fell, taking down power lines and anything else in their path. Then snow covered the trees and the weight broke them more. Trees are everywhere – and none of them are very appealing.

So what’s up with these new monsters in my kids’ closets? I keep telling them there is nothing to fear, that we are there to make it all ok and they can pray and ask God to make it all ok. But after the lights go out (or dim in my son’s case), monsters start coming out of my closet and from under my bed, too – in the form of medical bills, health crises, family issues, career hassles, and financial woes.

Flash lights don’t help.

And no one is telling me that it’s going to be ok.

But I do pray to God that He’ll make it all ok. At least my kids can take comfort knowing that I practice what I preach.

No comments: