Friday, April 18, 2008

10 Biggest Owies

In honor of my son and the many “owies” he’s endured recently while being sick, I thought I’d share some of my owies. My college roommate used to tell me what a clutz I was, and used to make up names for me when I’d get hurt. My family was never very amused with the doctor bills. Now my husband gets to pay the medical bills – and take care of me when I’m down and out. Here are 10 of the worst owies I’ve had:
  1. Post op infection. I hurt so bad in every square inch of my skin that even clothes touching me hurt. I bawled when the BP cuff went on. My husband had to carry me to the car because I couldn’t move my legs.

  2. Ruptured ovarian cyst – post op – with infection.

  3. MCL tear. I fell down a flight of stairs carrying my (then) 2 year old. In order to save him, I took a beating. The surgery to fix it was no ballgame either – when the meds wore off and pain shot into my quad and calf, I was not happy.

  4. Retinal hemorrhage. Imagine waking up to find your pillow soaked with blood – and realizing it was from your eye. Lasers and needles are NOT supposed to be in your eye – but luckily I was numb then.

  5. A badly administered epidural. They are supposed to be helpful – this one in particular felt more like a butcher knife being stabbed into my spine.

  6. Standing up after a c-section. You don’t realize how much your abs do for your body. Cut them in half and movement is pretty tough.

  7. Spinal headache. See #5. Add in vomiting.

  8. Stripping of placental membranes. This isn’t a pretty one. I won’t give details.

  9. A 2nd-3rd degree sunburn after falling asleep on the beach – it took gel baths at the hospital to repair my damaged skin.

  10. Soft tissue damage in shoulder – and a chiropractor trying to “fix” it (he didn’t).

Here’s to Loritab, Oxycotin, Lidocaine and all the other beautiful painkillers that have kept me alive to this point! Thanks for helping out my kiddo, too!

No comments: